A braai without a broodjie is not a braai. One of the perks of dating an Afrikaans man is observing their braai techniques and then adding my own spice to it. Ever since I’ve tasted a braai broodjie, my braai’s are never without them.
For those that don’t know what a braai broodjie is, it’s a sandwich toasted on the braai and enjoyed with your meat and cheesy-garlic mushrooms. Braai broodjies are ideal for vegetarians as it contains no meat, however vegans who don’t consume any animal byproducts like milk and cheese – I guess you could substitute. Honestly soy milk, I really enjoy but I’m not too sure on soy cheeses (if there’s such a thing) I will keep an eye out for it though.
This recipe makes two sandwiches
You will need
- 4 slices of Sandwich Bread or 2 Pita Breads
- Some Butter
- 2 Firm Tomatoes
- 1 and a half Onions (personally I like red onions and it adds to the colour)
- 3 Green Chillies
- 250g Mayonnaise
- 100g Mozzarella Cheese
- 100g Gouda or your preference of yellow-orange coloured cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Dried Sweet Basil or Italian Herb works well too
- Salt and Pepper
Let the FUN begin
- Slice the tomatoes and one of the onions into well sized rings. You don’t want them too thick or thin. About half a centimeter should be a rough guide.
- Chop the chillies and other half of the onion finely and mix it into a bowl of mayo.
- Grate both cheeses.
- If you’re using Pita bread, slice them open. Place your slices of bread beside each other on the cutting-board or plate. Butter the bread on both sides of each slice.
- Then smear the mayo mixture to one slice of each sandwich.
- Place a few onion rings on the mayo-bread and then about three slices of tomato to cover the bread. Depending on the size of the tomato and bread – the quality will differ. Season with salt, pepper and sweet basil as needed.
- Layer fair portions of the mozzarella then Gouda cheese and close the sandwich.
- Compress the sandwich with your fingertips and grill over the braai until the cheese has melted. You could place them on your oven rack and grill it in the oven.
- Be sure to turn the sandwiches over every few minutes to get both sides of the bread grilled perfectly.
- Then enjoy with braai’d meat (or veggie steaklets) and good company.
- 24,408 hits
- Braai Broodjies – (vegetarian)
- Eggs Benedict
- CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
- I Love Miley
- Women Are Crazy!!!
- Women are Crazy (The way to lose your female readers)
- 80 THINGS ABOUT ME
- My short story about Liam
- The Travel System
- Month Seven
- ONE COMMENT ONLY!
- Old, New, Borrowed and Blue
- Are you ready to have children?
- The Hut
- I see you baby… hiding my toes
- Race Card!
- Have an Appetite for Kinky Fuckery?
- Happy Birthday Christian Grey
- Pregnancy: Women Verse Men
- LADIES: The Offside Rule Explained
- Eagerly waiting
- Blackberry Chocolate Charger
- WORDPRESS FAMILY AWARD
- My unhappy Budget experience
- My Little Boy
- Customer Service – The Intro
- The Promised Letters
- Pregnancy in this life
- Driven Up the Chimney
- An addition to my world
- The trophy siblings
- The 30 Day Project
- Why Mothers Cry…?
- Mother-Daughter Words
- My Mother
- Protected: Ramblings of a Confused Woman
- Why I’m afraid of the Potty
- Protected: I’m turning Yellow
- Hair do dee do dee – I’m gonna kill you!
- If you’re a fatty and you know it, do some squats!
- Just goes to show how people change
- Running to the Sun
- Protected: When I Walk Away
- Dream Nails or Expensive Nightmare?